What is a direct cremation?
With a direct cremation, you can avoid the cost and waste of a traditional funeral. A direct cremation is a type of funeral service where the body is cremated without any prior ceremony at the crematorium, and usually with no mourners present. This green option comes much closer to what people used in ancient civilizations and is quicker than what is offered with a traditional funeral service.
Funeral without a service
How it works
If you’re looking for a cost-effective and straightforward way to honour your loved one, consider a direct cremation. A cremation is different from a traditional funeral in that you’ll forego a funeral service beforehand, or any sort of public viewing during the cremation.
Direct cremations follow the same process as a traditional cremation, but they do not include any of the liturgical rituals.
We’ll collect your loved one from anywhere in London and bring them to our care
*Attending the cremation:
You can now send off your loved ones from the Putney Vale Crematorium with an attended cremation at a time that suits you. This includes evenings and weekends. It’s just £150 for up to 30 people to be present for a 20-minute goodbye. Committals at other venues are only available 9am-4pm Mon – Fri – for an extra £400.
How much does a Direct Cremation cost?
A Capital Cremation costs for unattended cremation cost from just £849, including all necessary fees.
- Our directors have over 15 years’ experience in the funeral industry
- Our prices are lowest in the UK, with no hidden fees.
- You can rely on us to offer you the best possible care, from start to finish
- We have a caring team, with many years of experience, ready to take care of your loved one’s cremation needs. They will help throughout the entire process and walk you to the final step – hand delivery of your loved ones ashes.
- Our team members are here to provide you with expert advice and helpful guidance.
Celebration of life
The way funerals are conducted can be a very personal decision and often the cremation is done away from the funeral. This means that you are free to organise the send-off at a time suited for all involved. Direct cremation provides the time to think about what you want to do and so you can say goodbye the way you want to. This means that every family member, from small children to the family pet, can be included
For inspiration and ideas for your perfect farewell event, take a look at our “Saying Goodbye” page.
Is Direct Cremation the right choice for me?
- We offer a simple and straightforward cremation service that avoids all the fuss and stress of a standard funeral. Our team will manage all matters from the cremation and onwards, leaving you to spend time with your loved ones in peace.
- Creating a personal farewell that speaks to all the people who care about the deceased.
- Focus on the celebration of life
- Deal with the practical details simply and easily
- Hold your farewell somewhere comfortable and familiar
- Pick a day and time that suits you and your family
- Include everyone who should be there – even young children
- Spend your money where it matters most to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a direct cremation include?
- Direct cremation services include a process that includes collecting the deceased, completing paperwork, providing a coffin and the final cremation.
- Indeed, Capital Cremation includes all fees that you may incur and either hand delivery of the ashes back to the family or scattering them in Putney Vale Garden of Remembrance.
- Choosing a direct cremation provider is important to make sure you get a great deal. Some providers will come at an additional cost, whereas other providers offer these services for free. One noteworthy thing about doctors fees is that they are often missing in the price.
What is not included in a direct cremation?
- The main difference between a traditional funeral and a direct cremation is that death is taken care of as quickly as possible without any form of ceremony. The cremation process also saves you time and energy, as it doesn't need to be followed by a funeral or memorial service. You can also choose to scatter the ashes anywhere you like or have them preserved.. Meaning that there won't be any mourners at the crematorium.
- You will not be able to choose the design of the coffin - we'll provide a standard one.
- A direct cremation does not include embalming or any kind of preparation and there is no viewing of the body.
- It is your decision whether you would like to have a funeral attended by your friends and family. If not, be sure to inform the funeral director in advance about the details of our preference for cremation.
What is the difference between a direct cremation and traditional cremation?
A traditional cremation involves two separated aspects of the funeral – the committal and the ceremony. With direct cremation, we take care of everything and there is no committal in the chapel. We take the utmost care to honour your loved one in the same way a traditional funeral director would without adding on-the-side services that cost you more money. You and your family will have the opportunity to come together for a personal farewell at any time and place that's important to everyone.
Can you attend?
- Some people would still like to attend the cremation of their loved ones. If you feel that this is what you're meant to do, then it's perfectly fine for you and your family and friends to be present at the chapel and have up to 20 min gathering.
- With a Capital Cremation, up to 30 people can attend either at Putney Vale Crematorium for 20 minutes or at a more local venue. In addition, there are decisions to be made about what readings and music will be played in the service.
Before settling on a funeral director, always make sure they offer what you want. Direct cremation isn't an option that's available to everyone, so it's important to check beforehand.
How much is a direct cremation?
The average cost of a direct cremation in the UK is over £1,500 (Sun Life Cost of Dying Report 2021), which includes collection and care of the deceased, administration fees and cremation in a simple coffin with a delivery of the ashes
A Direct Cremation in London costs from £849 with Capital Cremation. Our basic package is made up of everything you need for a cremation with the same affordable price. The package includes everything from picking up your loved one to the return of their ashes.
What is a simple cremation?
A direct cremation or basic cremation also called a simple cremation is the simplest way to carry out a service –cremation is performed without any service or mourners attending at the crematorium. You can host a family only service with a personal farewell at another time and place.
How can we help?
Capital Cremation provides a quick, affordable and simple cremation service that you can book online or over the phone. You can arrange this now for somebody who has passed away by calling us at 020 7100 6074.
With our affordable prices and convenient process, we provide all you need to get through the cremation process. In the event of a death in the family, we are here to provide assistance 24/7.
If you have any questions about funeral planning or can’t find what you’re looking for here on our website, please don’t hesitate to get in touch by calling us at 020 7100 6074. (Mon-Fri: 7:00-19:00, Saturday 9:00-18:00, Sunday 10:00-17:00).
Arrange a funeral today
We will take care of the entire cremation process for you. We provide a comprehensive and all-inclusive service that leaves nothing to worry about. You can always contact us, anytime, for help and advice.
Affordable price, stellar customer service.
Traditionally funerals have been a time consuming & expensive process. However, without a formal funeral, many of the associated costs such as hearse’s, limousines and order-of-service cards can be avoided. The cremation process does not include viewing the body beforehand and no preparation or embalming is normally needed. Direct cremation can save money while also reducing the environmental impact of a funeral.
We’ve taken the simple and affordable approach to creating a funeral service. Our price reflects that. You can save a lot of money compared to the cost of basic cremation services by using our specialist service. This can work out to be up to 60% cheaper.
Call us today
If you have any questions, or if you are interested in our services, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Our helpful team will be happy to help.
Need to arrange a cremation asap? We can help you with that. Just give us a call and our staff will be there to guide you.